[WEB4LIB] More MS sabatoge of Netscape?

John Hambleton, Academic Information Services Jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:48:41 EDT 1999

Yes. I've long suspected that MickeySoft detects Netscape Browsers
and the user gets "walked around the park".
Paranoia? One wonders.
Mr. H

At 09:27 AM 8/25/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone else experienced difficulty viewing Microsoft sites with
>Netscape browsers?  I have Netscape 4.61 and it keeps loosing it on the
>MSNBC web site.  Specifically, I loose the ability to click on hypertext
>links (I can click, but the new page isn't opened), and closing and
>re-opening the browser doesn't solve the problem--I have to restart the PC.
> I do have the necessary MS plugins for this site.
>
>Also, earlier in the summer, one day I suddenly lost the ability to search
>the Microsoft support site --the pull down menus and text entry boxes just
>didn't appear on the screen.  That seems to be resolved, for now, by
>upgrading to the latest version of Netscape.
>
>Does anyone have any information about known bugs with Netscape and MS ASP
>pages?  Since Microsoft seems to be providing ever more content on the Web,
>if it is a purposely built in incompatibility, it would seem users are
>forced to use Internet Explorer to view these sites.  Of course this poses
>a problem for libraries--the choices seem to be, just use IE on public
>terminals, or constantly upgrade Netscape as these incompatibilities are
>discovered.
>
>Last, it seems disingenous to me for Microsoft to be making a case for
>"open standards" when it comes to instant messaging at the same time as
>they are constantly thwarting HTML standards.
>

>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
>Alicia Abramson
>Director, Library Information Systems
>University Library
>California State University, Sacramento
>abramson at libraryserver.lib.csus.edu

* John S. Hambleton                LMS      6.5.0 *
* Olson Library                    GTO      6.5.0 *
* Northern Michigan University     CICS     2.x   *
* Marquette, Michigan 49855        MVS/ESA  4.x   *
* Phone:  906-227-2741                            *
* E-mail: jhamblet at nmu.edu                        *