[WEB4LIB] Re: Coffman and ILL

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Aug 26 01:35:20 EDT 1999

At 02:29 PM 8/25/99 -0700, CD McLean wrote:
>This point really gets to the heart of my problem with the current ILL
>system.  Most of the libraries will only deal with you in writing.  So
>that means I have to use snail mail and get a snail mail reply on
>something my engineer needs yesterday.

Many libraries will accept requests by Ariel or by fax or by email.  In
fact, many prefer to receive them that way.

>why can't the compromise be that those who want it faster and are willing
>to pay for it, can get it faster?

Again, my wife's special library does those things.  If an engineer or
corporate attorney needs information tomorrow, s/he'll get it
tomorrow.  She'll obtain it from one of the many document delivery services
such as Uncover, a phone call to one of a number of libraries that will
accept phone requests on special occasions, or some other method.  If it is
a current book she'll get it delivered overnight from the publisher or
fatbrain.com.  There are many other techniques as well, but this isn't a
special libraries list.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165