Coughing up Coffman

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Aug 25 14:28:46 EDT 1999

Having been mentioned yesterday I just read the article "Building Earth's
Largest Library: Driving into the Future" by Steve Coffman.
<http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/mar/coffman.htm> (If you haven't you
should.)

Two comments:

1-If anyone is looking to start, count me in!

2-I agree that most people have no idea about ILL or it is too restrictive.
I run an e-list dealing with the author Dean Koontz. There are currently
about 100 subscribers from around the world, but most are in the US. I
recently found some of his old published college writings by e-mailing the
head of reference @ the college (in PA.) She gladly sent me the material
directly but requested that if others are interested that they don't contact
the college directly and have the request go through official ILL channels.
I posted this to the list and received two types of replies: "My local PL
won't ILL that far away" and "What's Inter-Library Loan."

What I would like to know is how many of you (since I don't currently work
in a library) actually offer to ILL items for patrons if they don't
specifically ask for it? If not, why not.

(For a little perspective, I come from a bookselling background, working for
more than ten years in independents and chains, both as a bookseller and
management, with a strong customer-service ethic.)

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org
http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
The WWW Library Directory is @
http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Buy books, music or videos online?
http://www.acses.com/?partner=1307
Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.