[WEB4LIB] Re: Coughing up Coffman

Don Yarman yarmando at ghpl.lib.oh.us
Tue Aug 24 15:56:52 EDT 1999

Dan Lester wrote:

> Well, I think apathy describes the reactions all over.

Possibly some apathy, but in my case it's more
pessimism overwhelming idealism.  I can't imagine
my library migrating away from our big ol' expensive
automation system, unless it's to another big ol'
expensive system.  And I can't imagine that the vendors
are willing to abandon their cash cows in favor of
creating something along the lines of this Amazonian ideal.

I'm planning at our next regional users group meeting
to ask our sales rep if they've thought about this
at all.  I expect that his answer will be no, they're
putting their energies into merging their product
lines and developing their Java-based PAC which is
"better" than Amazon because blah blah blah.

> Other than that, Karen has indeed described it correctly.  Apathy.

With me it's not so much apathy as despair.

Coping with my depression by eating too many Hershey's
bites, I remain in spite of everything your optimistic
servant,
                              Don Yarman
                              Grandview Hts Public Library
                              yarmando at ghpl.lib.oh.us