Maximum file size for downloading

Diane Madrigal dmadriga at MAIL.NYSED.GOV
Mon Aug 23 15:07:43 EDT 1999

Can anyone direct me to some guidelines for a maximum size for files (not html pages) that are made available for downloading?  I have many relatively small files (GIS data sets) to put on our server, and I'd like to zip some of them together to reduce the number of downloads a user would have to make.  Grouping files together by subject results in files ranging from 150KB to 450KB (after they are zipped), and I'm wondering if 450KB is an acceptable size for a data download, or if I should further subdivide the larger files.

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library