[WEB4LIB] Re: Pixel sizes for web pages

Jon Horstman horstman at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU
Fri Aug 20 14:18:25 EDT 1999

This is a very interesting debate. A good book that discusses white space and
text is "Creating Killer Web Sites" by David Siegel, 2nd. ed. I found this to
be really helpful in web design. I generally try to design web pages that will
look good at 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions with enough white space around the
text. I don't always achieve this, but that's my goal. (I haven't really
worried about resolutions higher or lower than that at this point.) Placing
text and images into tables with relative widths allows the browser to adjust
the web page for different resolutions. Sometimes I will set tables at an
absolute 600 pixels which will look okay at both resolutions, but usually I
will set them at 85 to 95% of the window so that they will adjust to the window
size. An example of this is http://www.wcu.edu/library/research/govdocs. Try
resizing the window to 640x480 and 800x600. It has the same look in both
resolutions.

Quick tip: An easy way to resize your browser screen to preview various
resolutions - use bookmarklets http://www.bookmarklets.com/

--
Jon Horstman
Web Services