Pixel sizes for web pages

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Thu Aug 19 18:44:07 EDT 1999

We did a thorough revamp of our website <http://library.caltech.edu> just
under a year ago.  We did literature reviews, examined the server logs to
generate a picture of the kinds of browsers accessing the site, separated
those into campus (core audience) and off-campus (nice, but less essential).
The distinction between campus and outside users is an explicit part of our
charge (YMMV).  The final conclusion, we felt a need to hard code a few
widths, was to go primarily with percentages, with nothing over 700 pixels
mandated in our code.  The 700 was a compromise figure, based on
establishing a single graphic identity for the website.  All images are
required to have alt tags with useful, informative text.

FYI, the impetus for the revamp and re-examination of our style guidelines
was the creation of a handful of tables which generated side-scrolling.
Much unhappiness ensued among the library staff.  Never did get complaints
from users.  On the plus side, we received considerable positive feedback
when we rolled out the new look.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681