[WEB4LIB] Re: Resolution for scanning images for the web

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Aug 17 19:38:14 EDT 1999

At 12:20 PM 8/17/99 -0700, Chris Lott wrote:
>Many (all?) scanners actually ARE scanning at their highest resolution and
>then downsampling to achieve the dpi chosen anyway. So doing it yourself is
>just performing the same operation manually.

If this is the case, why does it take so much longer to scan at a high res
than a low one?  On most scanners I'm familiar with, the step-size changes
when you change from 300 dpi to 75 dpi, for example.  So, it not only takes
longer due to more steps, but also due to more data being passed to your
computer.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165