IE5 and IKiosk

John Burke burkejo at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu
Tue Aug 10 16:44:53 EDT 1999

After many fine years of using IKIOSK on our public workstations I have
encountered a problem.  I have successfully locked down Netscape 3.X and
4.0X with IKIOSK 2.04, but now I am using it with IE5.  While everything is
good and locked down, here's the problem:  whenever a user clicks on the
first drop-down menu on a page (not the second, third, or fourth, but only
the first), IKIOSK kicks up an "IKIOSK disabled" box that will not die.
Clicking on OK only brings up another box.  This will prove disastrous come
fall, since our WebPAC and many of our periodical databases use drop-down
menus extensively.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any advice you have would be great,
except if you tell me to:  a) not use IE5, b) buy something else.  I'd
prefer to get this to work with IKIOSK or, failing that, to get other
advice on free ways to restrict IE5.  I appreciate your help, which this
list has given me on countless occasions.  Thanks!

John

John J. Burke, MSLS  |  Systems/Public Services Librarian
University of Cincinnati - Raymond Walters College Library
john.burke at uc.edu  |  http://www.rwc.uc.edu/burke
_IntroNet:  A Beginner's Guide to Searching the Internet_.
See www.neal-schuman.com to learn more and order!