[WEB4LIB] RE: Y2K and 486's

Trupiano, Anna ATrupiano at city.newport-beach.ca.us
Thu Aug 5 16:33:21 EDT 1999

You may have to "manually set" that date/time with every
power failure you experience as well.

There are many many different versions of BIOSs out there.
And I'd be very wary (in fact I am very wary) of these all-
conclusive statements.

To use a 486 as a telnet computer is fine... but HARDWARE
IS an issue.  People need to check each and every type
(manufacturer name and date) of their computers and
determine what needs to happen from there.

I've seen 486's not roll-over, be manually set to a date after
2000, and keep that date and increment that date, and
even with a simple power flux -- "go back to 1/1/80"  --
and the battery is good.