[WEB4LIB] RE: Y2K and 486's

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 5 12:12:07 EDT 1999

Has anyone tested any of the inexpensive "Y2K PC hardware fix" add-ins
(there's one by that name, among others), or any of the software TSRs
designed to compensate for the original bios inadequacies? Most PC
mail-order catalogs list one or more, and *if* they work, that would be
a low-cost ($20-25) way to extend the life of old hardware you can't
afford to replace all at once.

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Thomas Edelblute wrote:

> All of our 486s have failed our Y2K tests and are being replaced.  To
> replicate our test, go to a DOS prompt and change the date to
> 12/31/1999 and set the time to 23:58.  Turn the computer off and wait
> two minutes.  Turn the comptuer on and check the date.  If it is Y2K
> compliant, it will say 1/1/2000. Our 486s have reported back 1/1/1986.
>
> Before you conclude that it is indeed Y2K compliant, do this again for
> a leap year test to see if it knows February 29, 2000.
>
>  If you want to use them like dumb terminals, a regular telnet
> connection should suffice.
>
> lkleckner at park-ridge.lib.il.us wrote:
>
> > Old 486's should work just fine, just remember to reset the clock on
> > them on the 1st, as they most likely won't roll over without help.
> > (There is a joke there somewhere...but I'm not touching it)
> >
> > Larry

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day at indiana.edu
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."