[WEB4LIB] Y2K and 486's

John Hambleton, Academic Information Services Jhamblet at nmu.edu
Thu Aug 5 08:21:17 EDT 1999

At 11:15 AM 8/4/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello!
>          i was wondering if someone had an answer to a Y2K question.  is
>there any easy way to make an old 486 Y2K compliant (hardware)?  would i be
>able to use the machines as 'dumb terminals'?   Thanks, Gail

It may already be Y2K ok. Boot into BIOS and set the bios date to 1/1/2000
if you can. If you can't then maybe you can get a bios upgrade from the
bios manufacturer. You could certainly use them as telnet machines only,
in any case. If nothing else, just set the bios date BACK 10 years. If
Windows95/98 is an issue, check Microsoft's tech website. I believe these
are both Y2K compliant with minor issues. I *think* the minor issues are
the DOS command.com and winfile.exe programs.
Mr. H

* John S. Hambleton                LMS      6.5.0 *
* Olson Library                    GTO      6.5.0 *
* Northern Michigan University     CICS     2.x   *
* Marquette, Michigan 49855        MVS/ESA  4.x   *
* Phone:  906-227-2741                            *
* E-mail: jhamblet at nmu.edu                        *