[WEB4LIB] Netscape Navigator - The No-Exit Option

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Fri Aug 6 14:56:40 EDT 1999

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Andrew Mutch wrote:

> I just tried playing around with IE4 to see what it would do....
> You can run IE in a "kiosk" mode -- just add "-k" at the end of the command line.
> This will run a frameless window without any toolbars.  However, using my "kiosk"
> method won't add the toolbars in this mode [although you can use it to create
> windows with selected toolbars but it will prompt you before closing the initial
> window].  I haven't tried it with IE5 so you may get different behavior there.

That's what I'm doing now with IE5. It seems to work pretty well, and
the library users like it.

Two sticking points, though

1. I use Javascript to open up new browser windows from the kiosk
menu. (These browser windows have the normal set of menus and tools on
them). It works well 99% of the time, but occasionally, one of these
browser windows will open up behind the (unmoveable) kiosk window.
Rebooting the computer is the only way to get things back to "normal"

2. The "taskbar" will occasionally show up in front of the kiosk
window; I'd rather it not do so. (I've set the machines up so that
they only go into kiosk mode if a certain username logs in, otherwise
they go into normal Windows operation).