[WEB4LIB] Re: UNIX to NT -- Ack! My PERL scripts!

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 30 10:06:46 EDT 1999

You'll find that you're scripts themselves will port nicely to the
ActivePerl Win32 version; what won't port are any calls to all those
useful UNIX utilities.  With me it was sendmail for which I had to find a
Win32 substitute (blat), although a better solution might be Perl modules
for an email interface.

The other difficulty I've run into is the mysteries of configuring
directories under NT/IIS.  I've had the experience of configuring two
directories exactly the same but only being able to run scripts in one of
the directories.

Another tip:  If you don't intended to use FrontPage (speaking of
abominations) to manage the web site, make sure you chose the option not
to install it when installing IIS.  It takes over and conflicts with
attempts to do configuration through the normal NT tools and you can't
solve the problem by uninstalling once you've installed.  You should
install FrontPage only if you're committed to it, which likely means
you're going with ASPs rather than Perl scripts.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo