An interesting question re $$

Marc Davis davis at revelation.unomaha.edu
Wed Aug 11 19:44:12 EDT 1999

A colleague at amother University Library posed the following situation
and questions:

The institution has experienced problem in reaching consensus about the
design for their site.  They are looking to hire an individual/firm to do
the basic site design and then take over maintenance of their new site
themselves. I assume that we are talking the navigation, page templates,
colors, graphics.  I assume that there might be some cgi scripting
involved.

The questions:
	how much should the library expect to have to pay for basic design
services?
	has anyone had experience with a similar project -- outsourcing
design but keeping content/maintenance internal --?  If so, how did it go?
	any thoughts on how to select/evaluate designers?

Would appreciate any responses -- including answers to questions that
didn't get asked but should have been -- and I'll pass them on to my
friend.

I'm afraid I can't tell you a lot about the site -- I would assume a
fairly large site (given the size of the institution) and, knowing at
least one of the people involved, a firm insistence on quality, utility
and accessibility.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Marc Davis         University Library        UNOmaha
     6001 Dodge Street     Omaha, NE, 68182-0237
  	(402) 554-4949  |  Fax (402) 554-3215
	     davis at revelation.unomaha.edu