[WEB4LIB] Advanced web design training

Karl M. Bunday kmbunday at ms29.hinet.net
Wed Aug 11 05:04:03 EDT 1999

Susan Boland wrote:

> I am in the same position as Amy Helfman (knowing just
> enough to know how much more there is to learn!) only in a different
> geographic area.
>  I would also appreciate any opinions on good materials for self
> teaching.

My suggestion would be to take a look at Jakob Neilsen's site on Web
usability,

http://www.useit.com

which recently linked to an article by Neilsen on another site about
learning to become a professional Web master.

http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/stories/articles/0,4413,2293329,00.html

Neilsen's useit.com site has good, concrete suggestions for books for
self-study, and for academic programs for classroom study. Because
Neilsen's focus is on USABLE Web sites rather than unusable Web sites
that win design awards, your employer and patrons will be glad you
took his advice. Several of the books I have read about Web design by
design gurus have been all but useless in suggesting changes to my
site that actually help users find information on it. I figure most
librarians are tasked with maintaining information sites rather than
art sites, which is why I give this advice.

Karl M. Bunday  "pray for us" 2 Thessalonians 3:1
P.O. Box 674, Panchiao 220, TAIWAN
http://learninfreedom.org