[WEB4LIB] Web counter...

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Apr 29 22:36:01 EDT 1999

At 03:15 PM 4/29/99 -0700, jay wrote:
>Here's what i have decided to do: write
>the code for my own web counter. Why? I don't want to

I don't get it, though.  There's lots of code out there in many
formats.  You can do it with server side includes easily, or do lots of
fancy stuff with the technique of your choice.

>a.) rely on commercial services for content; and transmission of
>results.

No argument.

>b.) I want control over the application

But what control does a counter need?  If you mean display of characters,
there are counter digit sets on the web of hundreds, if not thousands, of
different styles, fonts, sizes, etc.  Of course the SSI lets you do it
in  a nice, readable font of your choice without loading graphics.

>But, has anyone done this kind of application before? I don't want to
>reinvent the wheel.

Well, to each his own, but I guess I can't imagine what can be done with a
counter that hasn't already been done.  And, all those things are free on
the web without having to do anything.

cheers

dan, seriously wondering what he's missing.

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165