[WEB4LIB] Re: Censorship Sites

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Thu Apr 29 14:36:10 EDT 1999

Hmmm why did you send this person here???
Oh, I know you wanted to convince the person
filtering was a bad idea... oh I get it now!

<wink>

> http://filteringfacts.org

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Matthew M. Benzing wrote:

> > In the interest of fairness, does anyone know of any sites that make a case FOR censorship? This isn't in jest; it's just that when I see a multitude of sites all making the same case I begin to want to see the 'enemy' that they are inveighing against, rather than the straw men that they erect for rhetorical
> > purposes.

For a better idea try an acceptable use agreement that is fully
supported by administration in educational settings
or in the case of parents at home...

Positive Parental Recommendations: Today Show & ZDNet

        Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:11:59 -0400

A previous post to another list
===============================

As seen on the NBC Today Show on On Air Today --

     "Get expert advice on how to monitor your kids
     while they're on the Internet." [at home]

     Wednesday, April 28, 1999

     The Today's Show expert recommended the
     following for parents (paraphrased):

     o     Treat the Internet as a Privilege not a Right

     o     Set Rules. Proper Tone, Age Appropriate Site Visitation

     o     Ask, Physically Monitor Children's Activities Frequently

     o     Control the Access - Own the Master Account

             - Consider ways of limiting access to certain sites

     o     Surveillance

             - Recording Keystrokes Utilities
             - Review the History File

     http://www.today.msnbc.com

     http://www.msnbc.com/news/TODAY_Front.asp?a&

What do your kids do on the Net?

     "...Follow this link to FamilyPC’s Web site
     and get advice on how to monitor what
     your kids are doing online..."

     http://www.zdnet.com/familypc/

     Source:
     FamilyPC On the Web
     ZDNet

     Site FrontPage Features:

         Time for Parental Consent
         on the Internet
                    How much do you know about
                    your teens and their computer
                    use?
         Littleton and the Internet
                    Here are some of the sites where
                    you and your children can go to
                    share information, feelings, and
                    ideas as you talk about this
                    tragedy.
         The Top 100 Wired High Schools
                    Which schools have done the
                    best job making the
                    transformation into the
                    information age? How can your
                    school get there?
         To Mom, With Love
                    10 easy Mother's Day projects
                    from a PC-savvy dad.
         How Does Storage Stack Up?
                    We review the latest in
                    removable media drives.
                    Toys That Think
                    Seven high-tech products that
                    may change the way your
                    children play.
         Opinions & Advice:
         Double Click By Robin Raskin
         Chips That Defy Logic
         Parental Guidance
         A Network of Hate
         Savvy Consumer
         Sometimes, A Warranty is No Guarantee
         Internet Mom By Robin Raskin

     Previous Stories
                    Family Software:
                     Girl Power --
                     HELP, I Have Homework! --
                     Kids' Educational Software --
                     Seven Photo Editors --
                     Top Home Publishing Programs --
                     Software Essentials --
                   Family Hardware:
                     Notebook PCs for the Budget-Conscious
                     --
                     Annual PC Survival Guide --
                     How To Buy a Computer --

--
P.A. Gantt, Computer Science Technology Instructor
Electronic Media Design and Support