Was: [WEB4LIB] database authentication script. Now:Standard?

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Mon Apr 26 09:04:25 EDT 1999

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Glen Davies wrote:
>[ . . . ]
>method of authentication but it will do in the short term while I work
>out a PERL odbc link into our patron file.

All,

I have seen a lot of different approaches to this problem, and I wrote a
multi-system real-time system several years ago, and I am thinking...

Is there anyway to propose a "standard" for the interoperability of all
these?  So that Glen's odbc will talk to my web query, if necessary?

In the simplest sense, what I wrote is a client/server and daemon pair,
and the communication between the two I "structured" into a protocol
that I called the "testbcd" (test barcode) protocol.

Since we all are dicussing different library systems, and differing query
sources, would it perhaps clear up a LOT of confusion if somehow we could
propose and standardize the inter-machine protocol.

Then, having done that, we could spend out time writing ODBC drivers or
web-based query programs, and no longer worry about the protocol.

If so, how do we get this started, and how do we get it ACCEPTED?

I've been doing this for years, and I hate to see people continously
re-invent the wheel.

James Cayz