database authentication script

Glen Davies glen at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Mon Apr 26 03:22:53 EDT 1999

Hi

As a follow up to the discussion recently on web4lib about
methods of providing offsite access to licensed databases I have
set up a script, after seeing the way that Dan Lester is handling
this, that will authenticate various different databases using a
delimited user id and password file. In our case I just generate a file
that contains
barcode,pin
barcode,pin
barcode,pin
straight from our library system. I know it is not the most secure
method of authentication but it will do in the short term while I work
out a PERL odbc link into our patron file.

The script checks the barcode and pin entered, and if valid returns
a form with a hidden generic userid and password for the database
that has been selected.
This way I can just get one generic id and password from each
vendor, but our users use their exisiting barcodes and pins to login.

Clear as mud! Have a look at the script at
http://lib.cce.ac.nz/misc/logonscript.html
and it might make more sense. There is a sample for ebscohost,
webspirs (this was a tricky one as it allocates a unique id before
you even log in) and dialog @site.

Any feedback on improvement, especially in the PERL coding
would be much appreciated.

Regards
Glen
Glen Davies