[WEB4LIB]Filtering Facts?

SVK s.vankirk at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Apr 20 09:23:32 EDT 1999

>David Burt, a librarian in Lake Oswego, Ore., is . . . contacting
libraries nationwide and asking them, under state freedom of
>information laws, to turn over records of complaints they have received about
>patrons, especially children, viewing inappropriate material at library
>computers.

Why?  To what end?  For what purpose is this data being collected?  To what
use will it be put?  How will it be analyzed?  By whom?  Edited?  By whom?
Published?  By whom?  And what does it have to do with this list?

My agenda?  I subscribe to this list for technical information and find
these FF communiques only political and way off topic (and much too
frequent).  Whoever is sending them needs to put his/her business up front
and then relate that business to this list. IMHO, of course.

Please reply to the entire list only.

--Shannon

vankirks at ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu