[WEB4LIB] Remote Access via Referral URL?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Apr 13 15:31:40 EDT 1999

There are several problems with this.

First, not all browsers send referer URLs; some usually do but can be
configured not to; none are supposed to if the URL is entered by hand, or
possibly from a bookmark; some can easily spoof a referer URL, making your
security easy to breach (not an easy feature to sell to data vendors).

Second, what should the remote site look for after sending back the first
page?  Every page becomes the referer for the next one, so they would have
to allow access to anyone coming from any page you could get to in their
interface, including online help, demos, etc. that may not require
authentication.

Third, this is definitely not built into standard web servers, so this
would require either that the remote site do some major modification to
their server, or serve everything out of a server-side script that can
examine incoming HTTP headers, which could incur a performance hit.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu