Remote Access via Referral URL?

Wes Edens EDENSW at t-bird.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:20:40 EDT 1999

My apologies if this question has been covered before--I checked the archive and that did not seem to be the case.
Like most libraries, we are struggling with the issue of providing remote access to our IP-protected, licensed databases (ProQuest, Ebsco, etc.)  We have experimented with scripted ID's and passwords, and with a proxy server.  Both were unsatisfactory to us for various reasons I won't go into now.  To get to the point, we are now looking at access by a referral (referring?) URL.
We have a secure intranet for students, faculty, and staff.  If a database knows the user is coming from a particular URL that is secure, they should be able to let the user in, right?
It would seem that there would be some accomodation that the database provider would have to make, but none for the library or the user, other than setting up the page on the intranet.
Is anyone else doing this?  Any pointers?
Thanks in advance.

Wes Edens
Electronic Resources Librarian
Thunderbird, the American Graduate School of International Management
15249 N 59 Ave
Glendale, AZ 85306
edensw at t-bird.edu
Voice:  (602) 978-7897