Intermediate/Advanced Internet class

lerczak at juno.com lerczak at juno.com
Wed Apr 7 15:03:50 EDT 1999

Hi all!  I apologize for the cross-posting, but I've got a dilemma.  We
have been offering Beginner Internet classes here at our library.  I
cover the basics (the toolbars of Netscape and IE and bookmarking sites),
URL's, E-mail (web vs. software vs. browser setups), Listservs (viruses
and netiquette), and basic searching.  I do this in about an hour.
(whew!)  I am also offering a Searching on the Internet class in which I
cover various search engines (Infoseek, Metacrawler, AltaVista) and
subject directories (Yahoo!, BUBL, Argus Clearinghouse) and good
searching techniques (use of +, -, and "").  Again, this also takes about
an hour.  I ask for written suggestions from the audience about 45 mins
into the seminar for searches - which keeps them involved since our
workshop setup is me in the front of the room with a PC and a projection
unit.  However, I've had people asking for a more advanced Internet
class, and I'm not sure what is considered advanced.  I've checked the
archives and some tutorial pages and haven't really come up with
anything.  I'm thinking along the lines of covering cookies, telnet,
configuration of browsers and maybe in-depth info on setting up an e-mail
account (Hotmail or Yahoo!Mail).  But, does your average patron really
care about things like telnet?  I don't know.  I know I could cover chat
rooms and have a packed house, but... I'd rather not. :-)

I'd appreciate any ideas on what is considered advanced/intermediate
Internet.  If you are teaching or offering such a class at your library,
please let me know!
I'll summarize for the list(s) if I find anything out and/or if there is
interest.

TIA!
Nicki Lerczak

Reference/Internet Librarian  / Olean Public Library
lerczak at juno.com                   \ 134 N. Second St.
home.eznet.net/~opublicl       / Olean, NY 14760
"Eating kittens is just plain wrong!"