[WEB4LIB] WEB4LIB digest 1390

Monica King moniking at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 12:25:13 EST 1999

hi all,
i second marty's high opinion of the third party security software for
the ability to collect statistics and would add that these programs
(while occasionally may have conflicts with other software) do make
administration easier for those of us that are not technical.  while the
nt policy editor is very good for ensuring the programs run efficiently
and can be used to prevent patrons from tampering with workstation
settings, i can see the advantages and disadvantages to both systems-
using software and using the built-in security features of the operating
system.  we use both systems in our library system and our front line
staff prefer the computers that use a menu and a time-out feature as
well as the statistical reporting functions.  my non-technical
perspective on workstation security and third party software is
available in an article in the upcoming issue of Public Libraries.  i
look forward to reading mike's article in Computers in Libraries for
another perspective.

and speaking of statistics: this may have already been mentioned in the
list (my mail was down for a time- so apologies if this is a repeat) but
john carlo bertot and charles mcclure have begun a national project to
study electronic performance measures and statistics in libraries.  see
http://www.albany.edu/jcbertot/libstats
we here in our state have formed a committee to study the same
information.  we also are planning on testing several programs for their
ability to collect data on a variety of different operating systems. so
if anyone would like to suggest their favorites, please pass them along
to me.

monica king
ouachita parish public library
other e-mail: mking at ouachita.lib.la.us