[WEB4LIB] Cable Internet Access

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Fri Apr 30 18:43:59 EDT 1999

Barbara Brattin wrote:
>  I have heard how fast cable internet access is, however, I have also heard
> that it is much more unreliable than using a T-1 line. Are any of you using
> cable for internet access? We have been told cable access is free for
> public libraries, but what are they not telling us? Besides a cable modem,

depending on the size of your library, intended use of the internet
connection, and number of users on your library network, a cable or ADSL
connection may work as your primary internet connection. Karen G.
Schneider covered cable internet issues in her American Libraries
column: http://www.ala.org/alonline/netlib/il299.html

large facilities with budget to spare for the T-3 primary connection may
still want to subscribe to an ADSL, Cable, or ISDN connection and
configure it as a contingency route to the net during outages on your
primary line.

if your library operates a web server or other information services with
incoming user traffic that arrives from the net at large (as opposed to
traffic from users inside your physical walls) you might prefer to
outsource these services for reasons of security, reliability, bandwith,
and economy.

> what different equipment will I need to purchase? Does "free" mean one IP
> address, or can I connect as many pc's as I want to simultaneously? Thanks

just one or two public, routable IP addresses may suffice for your
library -- assign all the internal machines one of a bizillion IP
addresses that are set aside for internal use. each internal machine can
still have internet access through an ip masquerading arrangement. let
me know if you want a pointer to more info on this type of setup.

good luck!

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis
 http://www.savvysearch.com                http://durak.org/sean