[WEB4LIB] Question concerning backward navigation

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Apr 21 16:29:00 EDT 1999

I recommend <URL:http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/4.html#back-button>.

In a CGI environment you can often (but not always!) determine the user's
previous URL, and write out a *forward* link that goes to that URL.  That
is to say, following that link would add a new location to the history
that just happens to be the same as the previous location.  This can lead
to confusion if people use both your links and their own back button.

In a Javascript environment, there is a way to do what you want, but it
will probably fail for anyone who has Javascript turned off.  This is an
excellent way, for example, to get me to leave your site and not come
back.  :-\

If it's essential to keep the search results available, you can suggest
that the browser open links from that list in a new window with a target
attribute, but this throws some users into areas of window management they
may have problems dealing with.

In any environment, there is a perfectly good mechanism for going back
that is built into the browser.  It usually even has a keyboard shortcut.

On the best organized sites I visit, there are navigational links to
various stepping stones within and outside the site; in a series of
ordered pages, "Back" or "Previous" may be a logical stepping stone, but
that's relative to the site layout, not the browser history.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu