[WEB4LIB] Typing Papers on Library Computers

Ramona Madewell rjm at mccadm.mcc.cc.tx.us
Thu Apr 15 17:32:41 EDT 1999

I'm from a community college also and have dealt with the same issue.
We began allowing use of library computers for typing papers this year.
Did not in the past because of limited number of PC's, but 30 additional
computers were added just before school started last fall (money provided
by Texas Infrastructure Fund).  In anticipation of the demand the additional
computers and support for word processing would make on our staff, we asked
for and received new staff. Two full-time and one part-time positions are
designated as "library technicians" and are responsible for providing
hardware and software support for the 50+ public access machines and 13
staff computers.  We only support Microsoft Word, which sometimes poses a
problem when people have other software at home.  Other labs on campus
support Word Perfect, Works, and some others, I think.

Ramona Madewell
Assistant Director, Library Services
McLennan Community College
1400 College Drive