[WEB4LIB] Re: Future of HTML

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Apr 15 15:46:49 EDT 1999

Kathy,

The archive is full of suggestions for the good, the bad, and the ugly of HTML editors.  Probably the first question you need to answer is:

"Do you know the code?"

HTML that is...if you aren't familiar with HTML, you should probably stick to one of the graphical editors.  On the other hand, if you are familiar with HTML, you probably will find you can get better control with one of the many text-editors.

Also, will you be working on many pages or just a few?  If you will be managing an large site, you might want to look at one of the editors that can be integrated with site management software.  On the other hand, if you are just planning on doing a few pages, you can get away with something as simple as Notepad.

Finally, which ever way you go, make sure that your editor creates HTML code that properly validates.  If you hand-code your pages, make sure that you run them through a validator to double-check your work.  This will ensure the fewest problems down the road with pages being rendered differently by different browsers.  Netscape Composer and Microsoft Word are notorius
for creating "junk" code but there are plenty of offenders out there.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI