Novell 5 anyone?

Wes Osborn wosborn at newark.lib.oh.us
Thu Apr 15 10:06:53 EDT 1999

Hello all,

I searched the archives for postings on Novell 5 and really didn't find
anything.  Is anyone on this list using Novell's new product.  We spent
about 3 hours demoing the NOS and were very impressed.  The
managwise console, NDS, and ZEN works looked awesome.  I'll admit
though that I tend to get a little to excited about things when I first see
new products, I'm sure it has it's flaws (I tell myself that everything has
to). Our library is moving to a new building at the end of the year we have
plans to add 150 machines and are wondering what the best direction
to go is.  NT is nice (we have workstation and server on a few
machines), but it seems to lack built in PC management tools, esp. for
win 9x machines.  It would be nice if the company that made the OS
could build a server OS would offer better management tools. The only
real NT/PC management solutions seem to be through third party vendors
HP Openview, Intel LAN Desk, etc.  Has anyone who uses Novell regret
it and wish  that they would have went with NT instead?  Thanks in advance
for any advice.

Wes Osborn
Newark Public Library System
Newark, Ohio