remote reference using netmeeting

Karin Smith kasmith at csu.edu.au
Thu Apr 15 01:00:43 EDT 1999

Hello
I am interested in getting together some sort of working
group/ discussion group to work on the idea of implementing a
remote reference service using netmeeting.
I was involved in  a
seminar in January this year in Sydney with Anne Lipow. She
talked about the importance to  our profession of
providing a service to patrons who are  coming into libraries
less as the internet is becoming a more accessible source of
information. She emphasised in her paper that it is not the patrons
who are remote from us - it is we  who are remote from the patrons.
At the seminar we  used netmeeting to demonstrate potiential
interaction with a remote user by connecting to another librarian in
Sydney. I am inspired to try to implement something and I am
giving a paper on remote reference in September.

It feels a bit awesome but I am interested in the potential of
providing a service across time zones. There are a lot of issues that
make it all challenging.

A little bit about myself and my institution:
 CSU is an Australian
university with a large cohort of distance education students. One of
my concerns is that we provide as many online information resources
as we can but nothing replaces an interaction with a human when you
are stuck trying to find some information or in our case, use a
database or the catalogue. I encourage people to ring our free number
but they rarely do. There are  many issues surrounding this. e.g. out
of hours service is very important to us because our students will be
doing their study at night - I don't know if an international link up
is appropriate; the technology - our staff need to add this to their
already busy job and also the clients - what equipment do they have?;
where do we put the icons to entice people to use the service? I
think the issue of remote reference is an important one but I don't
think the technology has quite caught up - it will have to be as
invisible as email to be really effective.

Please contact me if you are interested in discussing this further

Thanks
Karin

Karin Smith
Information Services Librarian