[WEB4LIB] Future of HTML

Dondi Michael Dondi at stratos.net
Wed Apr 14 14:46:31 EDT 1999

I believe there is still too wide a gap between what XML does now and what it
promises to deliver.  This is mostly because some of the principal portions of
XML are still under development.  These include XLink and XPointer (formerly
XLL), XSL for stylesheets, and XML namespaces.  I don't think you can find a
truly XML effort anywhere yet from start to finish.  However, if you have the
right browser and know the right URL, it is rumored that you can read manuals
on the docs.sun.com documentation server from Sun in XML.

While many implementations use XML to enrich their data, they also still rely
on HTML as a delivery format for their documents in the browser.  And I often
read that XML is not intended to replace HTML, but is meant to compliment.  Or
at least HTML will endure as a comfort zone for early adopters of XML.

I am also eager to hear from those who know more about this.

-Dondi Michael