[WEB4LIB] Automatic proxy configuration files

Charles F. Bearden cbearden at ruf.rice.edu
Mon Apr 12 16:42:40 EDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Jean-Marc Edwards wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how "automatic proxy configuration" files can be
> created ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?
>

> Jean-Marc Edwards
> Bibliothécaire (Internet et Formation)
> Division des systèmes
> Bibliothèques de l'Université d'Ottawa
> 65, rue Université C.P. 450, Succ.A
> Ottawa (Ontario) K1N 6N5 Canada
> Courriel : jedwards at uottawa.ca
> Site Web du Réseau de bibliothèques :
>   http://www.uottawa.ca/library/accueil.html

Proxy autoconfig files for Netscape are created with a subset of
JavaScript commands.  Documentation can be found at:

  http://www.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

As the Netscape Knowledge Base page at

  http://help.netscape.com/kb/client/970708-7.html

indicates, you must configure your server to send the correct MIME
header with the autoconfig files when a browser retrieves them.

I don't think MSIE supports these files.

Let me know if you have more questions.  I have messed around with
these a little bit.

Chuck
 Chuck Bearden                                      cbearden at rice.edu
 Electronic Resources Librarian
 Fondren Library--MS44                           713 / 527-8101 x3634
 Rice University                                 713 / 737-5859 (fax)
 P.O. Box 1892
 Houston, TX 77251-1892