Announcement of New WWW site about Youth in Japan

Hillel Weintraub hillelw at intnl.doshisha.ac.jp
Mon Apr 12 05:34:50 EDT 1999

I'd like to announce a website that I think will be of interest for cybrarians involved
with guiding people to places for research - both posting and getting. I'm personally
involved in the development of this site, though it's being managed by a full-time team
from a foundation called Child Research Net (CRN), which is supported by a large
educational printing company, called Benesse. From the site's page on "objectives",
here's a small quote:

"CRN's aim is to be able to examine specific issues that concern children and youth in
today's Japan. We also hope to explore the various, already existing, meanings of
research, children and youth as well as to come up with new definitions and pose new
challenges in this arena."

I hope that some of you might be interested to look at these objectives in more detail
at http://www.childresearch.net/WHO/OBJECT/index_f.html
or visit the main homepage at http://www.childresearch.net

The word "interactive" is thrown around a lot, as you are all aware. But we're trying to
give it real meaning in our site - that it, it isn't a place just to receive
information, but to post it, react to it, redefine it. Also it isn't just a place either
for only children or adults, but for both, for both to be researchers and thinkers
together.

Sorry if I sound a bit evangalistic. I'm excited about this project, particularly the r&r
(Researching and Rethinking) cafe, which is my hangout. I'd like to have some feedback from
the many people on this mailing list - suggestions about how to make this project work -  as
I think the goals of it are supported by all of us interested in communicating with our young
people. Please contact me with any ideas or questions or write directly to crn for
information - info at childresearch.net

thanks, 	Hillel

Hillel Weintraub
Director, Communication Center
Doshisha International Jr/Sr High School
60-1 Miyako Dani, Tatara, Kyotanabe 610-0321 JAPAN
Phone and fax: 81-774-65-8960 (from outside Japan)
Phone and fax: (0774)65-8960 (from inside Japan)