[WEB4LIB] PC-based web server

John Silvester silveste at zoi.lib.uwo.ca
Fri Apr 9 16:28:05 EDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, VanderHart, Robert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our library is looking into several options for future hosting of our
> website.  One thing we would like to consider is converting a regular
> desktop PC into a web server.  Has anyone done this, and if so, what all is
> involved?  Any cost estimates for undertaking a project like this?  Is this
> even a good idea to consider?

Robert, one way to keep your costs down is to run Linux on the PC.  Linux
can be obtained free from the Internet (try http://www.linux.org to
start).  Or if you'd rather have someone you can call for support, there
are any number of distributions that can be purchased for a nominal fee
such as Red Hat, Caldera, etc.  Most of them have links from the above
URL.  Once you have Linux running on the PC, you can download and install
the Apache web server which is also free.  There is also a port of Apache
to the Windows operating system if you don't wish to muck around with
Linux.  Apache can be obtained from http://www.apache.org .

Hope this helps.

John

--