Webmasters s/b librarians (was Communication between Librarian & Webmaster?)

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Wed Sep 16 11:37:47 EDT 1998

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Wilfred Drew wrote:

> I would almost bet that most webmasters for libraries are also librarians.
> If not, they should be.

This brings up a pet idea of mine, which I venture to espouse here when I
probably should keep my virtual mouth shut.

The Big Question: If there is a shortage of people with both librarian
training and solid knowledge and experience in management of computer systems,
networks, Internet hardware, and web site design, should the library:
   a) move a librarian into the position, with MAYBE some training?
or
   b) hire a guru from outside the realm of libraries?

I have seen much of "a)", and little of "b)". My contention is that this is
not necessarily the best approach. Of course, I don't mean to impugn the
abilities of many fine technical librarians I've known (and of which this list
no doubt has an unrepresentative sample). I also understand that libraries
generally operate under budget constraints that make hiring outside gurus
impractical. But young gurus can be cheap.

Points to consider:

* Does a webmaster or network administrator require the same sorts of mental
skills, approaches, proclivities as a librarian?

* Is it reasonable to expect that everyone in the organization who has an MLS
should make more many than ANYONE without one?

* By extension, would you train a librarian to do the following tasks, if
needed:
   a) graphic design?
   b) public relations?
   c) accounting?
   d) electrical wiring?

Again, I do not intend to get personal with this. I have noticed that other
kinds of organizations (health care, social services, academia) have similar
approaches. But I think it's suitable grounds for discussion, and things were
getting boring.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760