"Cannot read from drive A"

Tom Zimoski tzimoski at sjvls.lib.ca.us
Wed Sep 16 12:30:47 EDT 1998

I have seen this message appear in a few different contexts where my
reaction has been, "So who asked you to read from Drive A"

Yesterday I clicked on a link in Netscape, got the "Cannot read from Drive
A" message, and a prompt to Retry or Cancel.  I chose Cancel and was
dropped to DOS.

At other times someone has tried to print something and the "Cannot
read..." message has appeared.

We do allow people to download files from the Internet onto floppies and
I'm sure this has happened not too long before the instances I relate.
Somehow the PC seems to "think" that drive A is current.

My question: Is there something we can do to prevent this from happening?

The computers in question are running Windows for Workgroups and Netscape
Gold 3.04.

Thanks for your attention.

Tom Zimoski                     Phone: 209-488-2976
Reference Dept.                 Fax:   209-488-6735
Fresno County Library		Email: tzimoski at sjvls.lib.ca.us
2420 Mariposa St.
Fresno, CA  93721
USA