[WEB4LIB] Re: Y2K on PC

Margaret F. Dikel mfriley at erols.com
Thu Sep 10 14:34:04 EDT 1998

At 07:06 AM 09/10/1998 -0700, Judith Rigsby wrote:

>I began asking those questions of our IS Department nearly three years
>ago and the response was always that there were no Y2K problems and
>everything was fine.  In fact, once I was even laughed at for asking the
>question. [...]  The question of Y2K compliancy was once again
>directed to the IS Director just a few weeks ago and the response again
>was that there were no problems to be concerned with.  There is little
>or no awareness of Y2K on my campus and we in the library have no
>confidence that anything will work on January 1, 2000.  We have begun
>discussing making some contingency plans in the event that all our
>networks crash.

One system I would start checking for compliance and planning some
contingency would be circulation.   I can just see the look on the face
of a patron issued a bill for a book that's over 100 years overdue.

Maybe it will be the head of your IT department...

Margaret

Margaret Dikel, MSLIS
11218 Ashley Dr.                  The Riley Guide
Rockville, MD  20852           www.dbm.com/jobguide
301-984-4229                      mfriley at erols.com
301-984-6390 FAX             Margaret_Riley at dbm.com