Re Y2K on PC

Hope Tillman hope at tiac.net
Thu Sep 10 11:54:02 EDT 1998

Originally I sent this message directly to John Hambleton but seeing the
other responses to the list, I am redirecting it to the full group. This
past
year I was given the Y2K Coordinator for the College assignment and
have been working with the administrators and will be working with the
faculty now that the fall semester has begun. The Library is part of the
Information Technology and Services Division which includes all of our IT.

Ihave found a number of our library products are not y2k compliant in
addition to possible hardware issues. Most of our hardware is newer than
1996, fortunately.
Windows 95 is not compliant.

I am trying to get letters of compliance from all the vendors with whom
we do business if there are not clear statements on their web sites.

Also I have explored some of the testing tools available such as Greenwich
Mean Time's Check 2000 (http://www.gmt-2000.com/main.htm). On our
web site for y2k, I am pointing to several of these tools
(http://www.babson.edu/y2k/tools.htm)

I'm putting together a talk for Internet Librarian in November on the topic
and would appreciate learning how other libraries are dealing with this as
well.

Hope Tillman
Director of Libraries
Babson College