[WEB4LIB] Re: Y2K on PC

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 10 09:49:38 EDT 1998

One of my consulting gigs is Y2K Webmeister for Honeywell Space Systems in
Clearwater, FL.  I've gathered a lot of information on this issue,
compliances, etc.  Unfortunately, my actual site is locked up behind a
firewall.  But here are some critical links you can check for information:

Microsoft Technet Year 2000 Resource Center
("The Microsoft Year 2000 Resource Center Product Guide details specific
Microsoft products and their Year 2000 preparedness. ")
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/topics/year2k/default.htm

Federal Year 2000 Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Product Database
"...contains agencies experiences and notation regarding specific products,
vendor information, and details of Year 2000 code compliance."  Searchable.
http://y2k.policyworks.gov/

Year 2000 Information Center
"...provides a forum for disseminating information about the year 2000
problem..."
http://www.year2000.com/

Information Technology Association of America's Year 2000 page
Publications, vendor directory, government information, etc.
http://www.itaa.org/year2000.htm

IBM Year 2000 Home Page
Very comprehensive and well-organized
http://www.ibm.com/IBM/year2000/

Year 2000 Millenium Resource Database
"...the hub of the Year 2000 Millenium Resource Site Ring...a group of Web
sites dedicated to the Year 2000 problem."
http://www.y2klinks.com/

Year 2000 Tools and Services Catalog
Defense Systems Information Agency and MITRE.
"...presently has 700+ vendor entries."
http://www.mitre.org/research/y2k/docs/TOOLS_CAT.html

Year 2000 Bookmark Collection
Huge collection; everything from training/education to regulatory agencies.
Regularly updated.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~ggirod/bookmark.html

"Small Business Help for the Year 2000" -- offers some useful checklists and
"steps to take" documents
http://www.sba.gov/y2k/

Robert Hilliard's Year 2000 Date Crisis Page
"It has been said...'The Year 2000 Date Crisis is like an onion. The more
layers you peel, the more you'll cry.'"   Eclectic and sometimes humorous.
There's a downloadable PowerPoint presentation about the Y2K problem here.
http://www.tyler.net/tyr7020/y2k.htm

Don't Get Stung by the Year 2000 Problem
Interesting, informative collection of articles on the potential effects of
Y2K on investments, bank/credit union accounts, credit cards, insurance,
Social Security/Medicare, taxes, home appliances, etc.   Good for answers to
questions like, "Will the ATM still work?"
http://www.pathfinder.com/money/y2k/index.html

In addition, there are more links than you can shake a stick at via Yahoo:
http://www.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Year_2000_Problem/

Hope this is helpful for anyone working the Y2K problem...or providing
research assistance to others involved with the issue.

Shirl Kennedy
Internet Waves columnist
Information Today
Best Bet Internet