[WEB4LIB] Proxy or other technologies

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Thu Sep 3 15:58:41 EDT 1998

Wilfred Drew wrote:

> I have been asked by our library director to investgate proxy servers or
> other technologies for letting our off campus faculty and students access
> our databases and other services in the same way they can from machines on
> campus.  The main concern is allowing our distance learners access to our
> subscription databases without requring us to give out passwords for each
> database.  Ultimately this technology may be applied by all of the New York
> State University Colleges of Technology libraries.  The goal is to make
> remote machines appear as if they are on campus without requiring the user
> to dial in to us.
>
> I am looking for Windows based platform (either NT or 95/98).  What size
> machine is needed for 12,000 to 15,000 users?  What software is needed? Any
> particular software packages?  How much up keep and maintenance?  Can
> password /userfiles from VAX or other local systems be used?

Depending on the economics and fit, this could be another application
for WinFrame/MetaFrame.  I recently installed WinFrame for thin client
access to Netscape using Wyse WinTerms.  Shortly, the system will be
expanded to provide in-library access to a CD collection, and eventually
to provide off-site access to the CD collection.  In this case, a side
benefit is that WinFrame could act as a proxy server, allowing WinFrame
users to access Internet resources subscribed to by the library.

A curious thing about WinFrame:  everyone running a session on the box
has the same (static) IP address.  So, if that IP address is within the
range permitted by the Internet database provider, users connecting to
WinFrame can access Internet databases which check the IP address for
validation.  Admittedly, this could be a blessing or a curse, depending
on the objectives.  Also, it is conceivable that a database provider
would not allow more than x connections from the same IP address, though
I haven't encountered that yet.  If you're already considering wide area
or Internet access to your CD collection or other library resources, and
faced with proxies, this could be a solution.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
mailto:dennis at dati.com