[WEB4LIB] From what point of view is a library chaotic?

Sara Tompson sarat at fnal.gov
Thu Sep 3 09:36:02 EDT 1998

Hi:

Here is my 2 cents worth.  I think materials on shelves in libraries
are always teetering on the edge of total entropy.  It is so easy for
items to get misshelved; even if one has staff doing shelf-reading
DAILY, materials will still get out of order, because slick covered
floppy books can slip into the middle of a shelving range, book ends
can slide, etc.
It is MUCH easier to keep metadata, AKA an online catalog, organized
than physical materials!
The latter tends toward chaos.  I think we need to fight this entropic
move, so our users can indeed physically browse a collection
successfully.  However, we are never going to totally win this fight.

Sara Tompson, M.S.
Library Administrator
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
PO Box 500, MS 109