Summary of Surfing the Net for Handicapped

Lida Pinkham lpinkham at plcmc.lib.nc.us
Wed Sep 23 17:08:29 EDT 1998

Thanks everyone for your great feedback - it helped tremendously.  Here is a quick summary of the information that was passed to me regarding alternative ways for surfing the web for the physically handicapped.

TAB & ENTER
Use the [Tab] key to move from link to link and then press [Enter] to activate a link. This works in NS 4.01, IE 3.0, IE 4.0 browser only.  Thanks to Barbara Z. Haven[SMTP:bhaven at succeed.net], Thomas Dowling[SMTP:tdowling at ohiolink.edu], Sherry O'Neal-Hancock[SMTP:osherry at cal.net], Steinke, Leland J. Mr.[SMTP:SteinkeL at awc.carlisle.army.mil], John Lovin[SMTP:the4thr at twave.net], Skip Booth[SMTP:sb0026 at mail.pratt.lib.md.us]

Other Browsers
The internet browser Opera (http://www.operasoftware.com/) has features (keyboard navigation etc.) that are supposed to make it easy to use without the mouse.  It's not free (costs about $30).  A free beta version (3.5 beta 9) can be downloaded from http://cws.internet.com (Stroud's Consummate Winsock Applications).  Versions of the beta and the official release (3.21) are available for several platforms including Win95 and Win 3.x.
Thanks to Jay Smith[SMTP:smithj at pls.lib.ca.us], Thor Arne Landsverk[SMTP:Thor.A.Landsverk at rbt.no]

The Lynx browser, a text-only browser, uses keyboard commands (primarily the arrow keys). We use it here at Seattle Public Library and use it wirh two adapative software programs, one that enlarges the screen and another that provides a read-out of whatever is on the screen. Neither of these programs would work with a graphical browser. A problem we run into with Lynx is that more and more web pages are incorporating sophisticated graphics, i.e. scanned images of logos instead of typed in text, and not including Alt-tags with the images. The alt-tags provide a description of the image. Without some description of the images, whole pages are
rendered completely unuseable by visually impaired web surfers.
Thanks to Debi Westwood[SMTP:westwood at spl.org]

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
While keyboard shortcuts may not fulfill all your requirements, there is a good article reviewing them at
http://www.onlineinc.com/onlinemag/OL1998/net5.html
Thanks to Brian Westra[SMTP:westra at gemini.oscs.montana.edu]

VOICE RECOGNITION SOFTWARE
Depending on the situation, you might want want to explorer "dragon dictate".  It allows the computer, including the mouse cursor, to be controlled by voice.
Thanks to Kyle Harriss[SMTP:kharriss at d.umn.edu]

ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES
There are number of Assistive Technologies that are available to enable the handicapped to Surf the Net. I have described and provide links to  several in my NextWAVe(sm) project page: Here's the URL: Next WAVe(sm): Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm
Thanks to Gerry Mckiernan[SMTP:GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu]

ACCESSIBLITY OPTIONS IN WINDOWS 95
Assuming you're using Win95 (I don't have 98 currently, but it is probably similar), check out the options in the control panel for "accessibility options"; they may hold the key for what you're asking.
Thanks to John T. Benedetto[SMTP:jbenedet at unm.edu]

ALTERNATIVE MICE
I have a device called a "foot mouse" that I purchased at great discount (98 cents--guess where?). I've kept it for days when my hand might not work well. The Foot Mouse was/is made by Versatron in Healdsberg, CA. People who drive have fairly well developed foot movements. Sounds fun for variety but I haven't tried it yet!
Thanks to Barbara Z. Haven[SMTP:bhaven at succeed.net]

On our graphical browser stations, we do have both the standard mouse and a larger version (sorry, the exact name slips my mind right now). The larger mouse is alittle larger than a softball and is much less sensitive to small movements. It's designed for kids who may not have the fine morot control that adults have so responds to bigger movements than a standard mouse. It also works well for adults who have arthritis or tremors. It's more comfortable for their hands (a looser grip) and less "jumpy".
Thanks to Debi Westwood[SMTP:westwood at spl.org]

Lida Pinkham
Training Resource Coordinator
Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg
704-353-0631
lpinkham at plcmc.lib.nc.us
http://www.plcmc.lib.nc.us

"Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.  If you want to get somwhere else, you must run at least twice as fast."
~Lewis Carrol, Through the Looking Glass