[WEB4LIB] Surfing the Net for Handicapped

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Sep 23 12:49:39 EDT 1998

It isn't just the people who are unable to use a mouse who sometimes like
to keep their hands on the keyboard.  :-)

Netscape, along with most current browsers, is quite capable of traversing
the links in a page with the Tab and Enter keys.  Similarly, it can move
through client-side image maps and forms, although I note that my copy of
4.5b2 skips over <INPUT TYPE=IMAGE>.  Sigh.

HTML 4.0 offers a couple of ways for authors to facilitate keyboard
navigation, but they aren't widely supported by browsers yet.  The
accesskey attribute available to many elements is intended to create
keyboard shortcuts.  AFAIK, this is only supported in MSIE4+, and it's a
somewhat problematic implementation.  Anchors and form inputs can also
establish tab orders to control where the tab key goes to next. I believe
this is also only supported in MSIE4+.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu