javascript/URL targets

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Wed Sep 23 11:21:07 EDT 1998

I realize this can be done w/o using javascript in a much simpler fashion,
but please humor me for a second.

At the bottom of a page we're developing, we have inserted

<FORM>
<INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Site Info" onClick="site_info();">
</FORM>

// which opens the following

function site_info()  {
   iwin = window.open("site_info.html","IWIN",

"scrollbar=yes,status=yes,resizable=yes,toolbar=yes,location=yes,menu=yes,wi
dth=325,height=375");
}

[The coding isn't in that order, of course.]
We would like the hyperlinks inside this newly opened browser to target the
initial browser window.  In other words, rather than clicking links and
have the pages appear in the newly opened browser, we would like the
initial browser (containing the "site info" button) to be receiving the
requested documents.  (I've heard this described as the "remote-control"
effect.)

We've mucked around w/the script and w/the TARGET attribute in places w/o
luck, and haven't been able to find any websites with related information.
Any suggestions?  (Replies offlist are probably most appropriate.)

Thanks.
-kb

Kevin W. Bishop                              bishopk at rpi.edu
Campus-Wide Information System Coordinator   http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo