Link Checker, Xenu

rjtiess at juno.com rjtiess at juno.com
Thu Sep 24 08:06:30 EDT 1998

Wilfred Drew <drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU> writes:
>I use Xenu which is free and checks all links on a site, not just on
>the current page.  It is at:  http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/xenulink.html

I downloaded Xenu about two months ago, used it several times,
and my computer locked each time.  It is a very fast program,
but I couldn't get it to process a single page of ten or so links--
most likely due to my setup.  Another thing about Link Checker--
it demonstrates how one might be able to use Java to create a
web crawler through its HTML sampling.  Plus it's public domain.
No patents pending there! :-)

Another interesting service I heard of is NetMinder, which I believe
remotely monitors web pages for changes and e-mails you whenever
those pages are updated.  I don't have the URL, but I have seen
websites with a NM prompt and also the main site at one point.

The latest Netscape often drives you to its "keywords" search
center when it encounters 404s.  GeoCities and Tripod, web hosts,
also do this.  Some of this wouldn't be necessary if there were
forwarding addresses left at old URLs when web services are
relocated--or termination of service notices, if that's the case
--either as a courtesy of the ISP/web host or the web developer.

It seems people I speak with are spending more time than ever
searching for sites and pages instead of finding actual information,
and they're using the "big" directories and search engines.
Library Internet guides are much stabler and more dependable.
Locating URLs and moved web pages was a high priority when
I created Advanced Search (http://www.thrall.org/proadv.html),
which allows you to search the titles of web pages, the URLs,
scope results to domains/ISO country codes....  Advanced
searches are often the only way to go these days, and I wish
more patrons and staff members would take the time to learn
these search tactics.

Robert

-