Hogging the Internet Terminals

Ray Serebrin ray.serebrin at spl.org
Fri Sep 4 11:44:59 EDT 1998

Hello.  My name is Ray Serebrin and I am Acting Director of Neighborhood
Library Services at Seattle Public Library.  I am new to this group and this
is my first posting.

I am exploring innovative solutions to the age-new dilemma of users hogging
the terminals.  SPL is installing the Dynix graphical interface and is
experiencing the problem that occurs when users hog the terminals for
internet and email use and then catalog users can't get on.  The current
installations are in medium sized branches of about 12 terminals each.
Internet and the PAC are on each terminal.  We have a 60 minute limit that
is human enforced and not working very well.  We have lots of experience
with this phenomenon with text terminals - but through a technical fix which
enabled us to time people out after 60 minutes.  To our knowledge no timer
fix is yet available though we are aware of some that are being developed.

Until the timer fix is here, we have toyed with and in some cases
implemented, the following ideas:
1.	voluntary sign up
2.	express terminals
3.	taking internet off some terminals
4.	proliferating dumb text terminals
5.	designating some email only terminals
6.	designating some web only terminals
7.	reduce time limits
8.	remove telnet connection on some terminals
9.	mechanical timers
10.	etc. etc

Good ideas we have lots of.  Do you have any experience with fixes in
similar situations that have WORKED?  If so I'd be very grateful.

ray