proxy server

Andrea Peterson apeterso at accd.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:48:46 EST 1998

Hello,

I am new to the list, but I did read through the archives and found some
great discussion about proxy servers.  However, there are a few points I
could use some suggestions on.

It seems that the linux/squid combination is fairly easy and quick to set
up and will fit into my budget :-). I believe I will start with this and
explore the alternatives which may be a bit more efficient but more work /
time on my part.  However, I do have a little money to buy a machine and
wonder if any of you who are doing this could recommend specs?  WE will be
using the server to provide access to our WWW databases from outside ISPs.
We will have 6 or 7 databases/ vendors we will be providing access to, but
the server needs to be able to handle many more.  We have about 20,000+
students on our campus, although I don't know what kind of traffic we will
have with this service.. only about 30% (guesstimate) of our students have
web access at home or work and not all of these students are going to be
using this service either.

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do the user
authentication / validation.  Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

Andrea Peterson        apeterso at accd.edu
Automation Systems Librarian
San Antonio College Library / LRC
1001 Howard St.
San Antonio, TX  78212
Phone:(210) 733-2669      FAX:(210) 733-2597