[WEB4LIB] monitor resolution

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Oct 12 18:43:38 EDT 1998

Relating to Thomas Dowling's response, If anyone is interested the javascript
for determining screen size one can be found at
http://www.javalogic.com.au/applets/screensize/index.html

It is limited to widths of 640, 800, and 1024.  It could only tell that my
1280x1024 was none of those three.  The site is "jzoo free java code" which
may have been mentioned before on this list.  You or someone could probably
edit the java code to keep a file of a record of the screen sizes that visit
your site and then tell which the majority is.

 We designed our web page based on 800x600  which is what all of our public
patron machines are set.  Although the University computing center has chosen
to go with 640x480 probably to support the ones Thomas Dowling refers to that
don't change.

Thomas

Kevin Justie wrote:

> In the context of designing web pages (to answer the question of how much
> content will be seen on the first screen?), has anyone ever seen any
> studies on what monitor resolutions people use?  Monitor sales figures
> don't answer the question since most (all?) monitors support multiple
> resolutions.  What I'm looking for is number of people using 640x480,
> 800x600, 1024x768, etc.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin Justie
> Head of Technical and Automated Services
> Morton Grove Public Library, Morton Grove, IL
> (847) 965-4220
> kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
> http://www.webrary.org/
> Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
> official Library policy.
>
> ***   "The box said Windows 95 or better,...So I bought a Mac."   ***

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit operating
system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine