proxy servers

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Oct 12 13:11:38 EDT 1998

Greetings.  Since my posting about seeking a proxy server package, I've
received a number of comments and questions, both on and off list.  I've
replied to them, but thought it would be useful to fill in more information.

The product that I'm using is WinProxy, from www.winproxy.com   It is real
commercial software, but they offer an evaluation version with full
functionality but limited to thirty days.  When you buy your license key,
you just add it in to the software and don't have to reinstall anything.
The cost is US$299 for an unlimited license, with a small educational
discount if you ask for it.

It will run on Win9x or WinNT4, and doesn't need much of a box to do it.
Although I'm running it on an HP server with NT4, P2-333, 192mb of ram, you
could run it on much less....such as a 486 with Win95.  I know this because
I've done it.  But we find it better to throw it on the box that is also
the library webserver (running OReilly WebSite instead of the MSjunk).
There is no noticable impact on response time for users on some 46 public
webstations.

The proxy server box does NOT need two netcards or anything like that.  We
simply set the proxy settings in NS4.x to go to 132.178.18.75:8080  (only
use the nonstandard port as running webserver on port 80) and that forces
every request to be passed through the proxy server.  It also caches, and
you can set it to cache a LOT if you wish.

Once again, before I get any censorship police on me, we're blocking CHAT
and GAME and EMAIL sites only.  People can still go to see their "dirty
pictures" or whatever, and from looking at the proxy logs, they do.  o-)
We block the three types of activities cited above by policy (see
http://library.idbsu.edu/notice.html if you want to see it), and this
simply allows us to enforce that policy more easily than by having
librarians taking time they don't have running around and looking over
peoples shoulders and fussing at them.  This has already helped reduce the
overcrowding on the 46 workstations.  Anyone who wants to use those
functions can go to one of many computer labs and chat, email, or game away
as long as they want.  We're simply trying to keep an academic library's
limited resources available to as many as possible.

Also, the analysis of the proxy logs (we use WebTrends, which is also very
affordable and easy to use, and can give more information than you can deal
with in a lifetime) gives information about the types of web resources that
our patrons are using.  Management has always wanted that information,
particularly so they could know what use of our licensed databases was.
Yes, we get reports from the vendors, but they wanted more info.  It also
lets us check on the usage of free databases, such as ERIC, MEDLINE, etc,
etc.

Note that I have no argument with those of you using Linux, Apache, and so
forth. However, we made a conscious decision a number of years ago that we
were going to support only one platform (PC) and one family of OSes (DOS,
Win3.x, Win9x, WinNTx).  The ONLY exception is our proprietary integrated
library system, Geac Advance, currently running on a Sun Enterprise 3000.
However, we also have the policy that NO changes are made on it except by
the vendor, including custom programming.   We simply don't have the
resources to do some of the things the rest of you do.

As always, ask if you have any more questions.....and I know the comments
will come too.  o-)

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/